Sunday, September 15, 2013

Two Harbors Light Station Museum

On your way to Split Rock Lighthouse, you drive right through the town of Two Harbors and so on our way back we stopped to check out the second lighthouse of the day.  I sure wish they were air conditioned because it was hot and humid that day.

On August 4, 1886, the U.S. Congress authorized $10,000 to build a light station at Agate Bay due to the 225,000 tons of ore that were moving through the bay at that time. Nearly 600 tons of rock were blasted out of the bedrock to form the foundation for the new light station. By 1892 standards it was a very modern structure complete with a rain water collection system and a cistern in the basement which provided the family with fresh water.

The Latern Gallery is 43 feet 6 inches high but when coupled with the location on the shoreline, the lantern sits 78 feet above the water.
     The grounds also hold a pilot house from an old ship. We were able to go inside and take pictures.
 



 



 
                              This is the lighthouse which today is also a bed and breakfast.

 
                                                         Looking out from of the lighthouse.




                            This was the assistant keeper's house. We were about to inside and look around.













Another picture of the pilot house. If you know me, you know I just love this kind of stuff. I don't know what it is but I feel like I'm stepping into the past and it really fascinates me. I still have one more stop to tell you about and that will be in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to assert that
    I get actually loved account your weblog posts.
    Anyway I'll be subscribing for your feeds and even I achievement you get right of entry to consistently fast.


    Here is my website ... book of ra online kostenlos ohne anmeldung

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...