Monday, October 26, 2009

Korean K-Pop!


I know a lot of people think Korean K-Pop is cheesy but I can't help it, I LOVE IT!!! Thanks to Youtube and http://www.popseoul.com/ I can keep up on all the new music. This is the latest from FT Island. Lucky for me Rocket Man has occasional business trips to Korea so he can pick up the latest CDs. Or I order them from http://www.yesasia.com/.


This is one of my favorite all time songs from the soundtrack of Full House. Full House was a popular Korean drama a few years ago and made a name for Rain (Bi) who played to male lead role.


DBSK is the band and the last I heard were fighting a legal battle with their record label. When these boys were signed, their contract stated that the record company would own 90%. This is the norm in South Korea and it's what you have to do to get a deal. The record company spends years training you to become a singer and dancer and then if you are lucky puts you into a group hoping for stardom. But the members of DBSK clearly were being worked to death, sometimes cross-crossing the Korean pennisula in a matter of hours for promotion tours. It is not uncommon to see stars involved in accidents because of their unrealistic schedules and the driving skills of their managers. These guys decided to take a stand and have taken the record company to court. I've also heard that a normal contract is for 12 years. I wish them well!!!


This song was huge when I first moved to South Korea. It's very catchy.


This was a huge hit for Park Ji-Young who is know as the creator of the Wonder Girls. The dude can dance!


This is my favorite song of the Wonder Girls so far. They have even debuted on Billboard's Top 100 at 76 this week. Go girls! They do this song in English too but I'm partial to the Korean version. You should have seen my family last Christmas when I demonstrated some of the moves from the video.


I have to include my favorite Korean singer, Kim Bum-Soo. His voice is amazing. My Korean girlfriends told me that he wears glasses because he is so ugly. I didn't believe them at first but they were serious. I have four out of his five albums and his face is always show from the side or with him wearing glasses. I don't agree with them but they said that is what the Koreans think.


Big Bang also has this new song out and it's fantastic. When I left Korean in April, this was the most popular band among the young Korean girls.

I had fun putting this list together and I hope you like the songs as much as I do. There is an amazing amount of talent in South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...