Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Busy Girl

 I haven't been crafting this year at all because of this. Rocketman bought me this portable scanner for Christmas. At first, I didn't know what it was but boy, has it been a lifesaver because...
My dad asked me a favor. If I could scan all their photos so he could watch them on the digital photo player we gave him the previous Christmas. We had included a memory card with a few hundred photos but he loved it so much that now he wants everything on it.
It really is so much fun looking at old photos but it is definitely tedious, scanning, renaming and placing in the appropriate folder thousands of photos. I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible because I know how much they will enjoy it and I could speed it up by just scanning and not renaming but many of the photos have descriptions and I want to get everything as correct as possible. It is daunting but once it's done, it's done. So that's what I've been up to.
I've never considered myself a good cook maybe because I don't particularly enjoy it and it stresses me out.  It's something to always have to think and plan what's for dinner. But what happened last night makes me never want to cook again. I was making some Chinese food and needed to heat up some oil. I had made this before so I thought I knew what I was doing. I poured the oil in the wok and hit the high button on the stove.

I walked away for a few minutes and I heard a loud cracking noise. I thought the UPS guy had kicked the door. I look towards the front door and saw the wok with flames two to three feet hitting my microwave above the stove. I grabbed the pan and my first thought was to put it into the sink and turn on the water. But quickly I remembered seeing a video showing that when you do that, the oil explodes everywhere. So I ran to the sliding glass door with oil sparking out of the wok and leaving a trail of fire on the floor. I opened the sliding glass door, glanced back seeing the floor all on fire and threw the wok into the snow on the deck.  I was going call 911 and try to find my cat. But as I looked at my kitchen, all the fire was out. But the house had filled with horrible smoke. The smoke alarm was screaming and I couldn't even see the television that was on in the next room.

I was shocked at how fast the house filled with smoke. I was coughing and having trouble breathing so I stepped outside and texted Rocketman to warn him what had happened and that I was okay. I went back into the house to open all the windows and doors to help dissipate the choking smoke. It was horrible and when I became lightheaded, I went outside.
Rocketman got home and after being assured I was okay, we assessed the damage. I couldn't believe the floor was not burned at all. The oil had burned out leaving just oil marks that I was able to wash away.I have no explanation for this except that it was a miracle. I burned one rug (above), one pan and had a small 2nd degree burn on my right hand along with some smoke inhalation. I still am in shock but feeling very blessed and lucky.


  1. Next time, put a lid on it. So sorry this happened!!!

  2. No lid and I thought I would really get burned. The only thing I could think of what to get it out of the house. I've never been so scared in all my life:(

  3. Fire extinguishers? I highly recommend you have several stashed all over. I have one on each end of (galley) kitchen.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...