Sunday, March 28, 2010

Offensive?


I was at our favorite Italian restaurant yesterday for some delicious Italian food. Rocketman and I have been coming here for almost thirty years so most of the staff (except for the new ones) knows us. Since Rocketman is out of town, I still made the Saturday drive for lunch and the staff feels bad that I'm alone so usually someone sits and talks with me for a bit.

Yesterday it was one of the owners and she was upset. She was putting an ad for the restaurant in local flyer (not in our city). The powers that be at the city council of that city felt that the slogan in the picture above was too racy. I was really floored at their reaction to because when I first saw this slogan their ad agency came up with, I found it to be clever and catchy.

They catered our daughter's wedding a few years ago and I must tell you that I have never eaten at a wedding where I felt so inclined to seek out the bride's family to rave about the food. But that is indeed what happened at our daughter's wedding. The food had been a point of contention between me and my mother. Yes, this was my daughter's wedding but my mom had to put in her opinion when she found out we were serving just Italian food. She wanted to know where's the chicken. You can't just have Italian. What if someone doesn't like Italian. We had several Italian dishes and salads also. It was served buffet style and all you could eat (my mom's favorite).

It turned out that Italian was the perfect food. The food was hot, perfectly cooked and delicious. My mom did tell me after the wedding how wonderful the food was. I can't tell you how many weddings we've been to over the years where the chicken is dry or the steak is the size of a quarter (little exaggerated). More than once we ended up stopping somewhere to eat afterward because Rocketman was starving.

I'm not in marketing or have a degree in advertising but I think people need to lighten up. By the way, this restaurant has also appeared on Food Networks Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

3 comments:

  1. I've eaten out with you and RM enough to know that if you like it, it MUST be good! People do get all up in arms over nothing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the restaurant, Becky? I'm in Stillwater. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creekhiker: You are right. Can't wait to eat in LA.

    Stillwater Food: http://www.donatellis.com/ It's da bomb!! Guy Fieri said it himself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...