Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Chilbo Class - Day 1



My first day with my Chilbo (Korean enameling) teacher. I missed her soooo much! I got to spend three hours a day with her my first week in South Korea.


Nan liked to take pictures with my camera as well as her own.



Here I am working diligently.



Here are some things Nan had been working on.



This was a piece by one of her students. Her classes have grown since I left and she now has a bigger table in her tiny studio.

This was the beginning of my first lesson. I had to sprinkle white enamel over the plate and use a toothpick to draw a tree and a ladder.



Then use a damp paintbrush to remove enamel from certain areas.


Then I used lump enamel to fill in and it goes into the kiln.



This is what it looked like after firing. How cool is that! She was sooo cute. I walked to class but decided to take a taxi back to the hotel since it would only be about 3-4 dollars. She walked me out and across the street and hailed the taxi for me. She also told the driver where to take me in full ajumma demanding style.


I smiled all the way back to the hotel and couldn't wait for the next day to begin.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...