Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Slippery Start to CHA

We flew out to Anaheim, CA on Saturday morning. Rocketman being the thoughtful husband loaded the car while I got ready and pulled the car into the driveway to make it easier for me to get into the car. I came out the garage door to find the car at the end of the driveway with the tires spilling.

Apparently while we slept the night before it rained which turned our driveway into a sheet of ice. I started to walk carefully to the car and fell immediately on to my bottom. As soon as I hit the ground I began to slide down our driveway which has a slight incline. I finally came to a stop halfway down the driveway. I tried to stand to no avail and cried to Rocketman that I wanted to go home. He also tried to get out of the car to help me only to fall on his behind.

He watched helplessly as I crawled on my stomach back up the driveway to retrieve my purse. I sat up and to the car. I could not even get to the passenger side so I crawled over the driver's seat to the passenger's seat. Rocketman got in and we wondered what the rest of the drive would be like.

Luckily, the side streets were not bad and the highways were clear. We parked in a remote parking lot and took a shuttle to the airport. I anticipated that we would run into delays at the airport with the new security but we were pleasantly surprised to get through everything pretty quickly.

I had used Mapquest to print out directions from the Orange County Airport to our hotel. The directions were really easy and said that our hotel was only 3 miles from the airport. How was I to know that Mapquest is unreliable. Rocketman reminded me of this as we helpless tried to navigate from the inaccurate map from Mapquest.
But we did find (on accident) an In N Out Burger. Something we both have been craving since our last visit which was three years ago. Frustration gave way to pure joy! We found a parking space and hurried to the order counter.

You can see Rocketman on the left side of the picture ordering. Their drive-thru is just as busy as the inside.


Here is a picture of their menu. Simple but satisfying. I've heard there is a secret menu you can also order from if you are in the know. I just love their cheeseburgers.


I asked for a cheeseburger with no tomato but it came with tomato. It was easy enough to remove. I don't know what they put into their meat but it is the most delicious hamburger I have ever eaten.
Feeling full and satisfied we returned to the rental car ready to tackle (and ask for directions) to the hotel.
Reminiscent of my Korean days, I took out my trusty camera to take a picture of In N Out. I pulled out my camera from my purse and proceeded to drop it. I let out a huge gasp. I picked it up and turned it on. No picture on the screen. I walked to the car turning it off and on, fiddling with the buttons. Nothing.

This was a picture I took with my broken camera. I looked out the tiny view finder. I burst out in tears. Rocketman said that it was ok and we would get a new one but I didn't want a new one I wanted this one. This camera had been with me through all my Korean adventures. This camera helped document our stay in South Korea. This camera that was my constant friend was gone.
Rocketman had to stop twice to ask for directions and we did finally find our hotel. I went to the front desk with Rocketman wearing my sunglasses due to my redden, swollen eyes. Once in the hotel room, Rocketman tried to see if he could make it work but it wasn't to be. He connected to the Internet and priced out my exact camera and came up with a price of around $200.00.
I met up with my friend Linda shortly after I got to our room and we did the CHA Super Show. I was surprised at how many people were there. It was packed. We saw a lot of rubber stamps for sale among other things. I love rubber stamps. We then met our husband's for the CHA reception and ate cheese, crackers and nachos. We went back to our room done for the night and exhausted from everything.
Tomorrow, my first day at CHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...