Friday, May 20, 2011

Chilbo (Korean Enameling)

 This week's chilbo project was more Korean flowers.  I forgot what this one is called and I really should write them down.  Nan tells me the name in Korean and then has me repeat it until I get it right.  Sometimes it's not so easy but I try because it makes her so happy to speak Korean.

                                                            This was Nan's chilbo piece.
Rocketman had a company dinner so I went to Nan's at 8 pm thinking we were going out to have chicken. I was a little surprised to find that the chicken came to us in her shop. Her new boyfriend came and also another fellow artist that I had met before. As we were waiting for everyone to come, I noticed this statue outside her shop.  Someone had put gum in an embarassing place so she went to get the owner of this statue who's shop was right across the street.
He came over to clean her up.  It's pretty shocking to walk down the street and see something like this.  Korean women NEVER dress like this.  It's very scandalous which I'm sure was his intention.

Nan's new boyfriend is a few years younger than her and she is embarrassed by that.  He spoke pretty good English so I had someone to talk to.  He works at Suwon Station as a civil engineer.  He was divorced with a 10 year old son.  He works six days a week, 6 am to 6 pm.  We had a great time and at 10 pm Nan said it was time to go.

I was going to walk to the bus by myself but Nan would not let me.  She had her boyfriend walk me to the bus stop which was out of his way.  I told him I would be fine but he insisted saying that it wasn't safe at night to be a woman out all alone.  So he waited for me at the bus stop and left when I entered the bus.  How's that for chivarly?  Rocketman actually beat me home.  He really wants to go the next time.

1 comment:

  1. I am nearly positive I saw that same pirate woman on a mini golf course at Jenkinson's in Point Pleasant on the New Jersey Shore. I will take a picture of it next time I go to make sure.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...