Friday, July 1, 2011

Back to Itaewon!

 We didn't get back to Itaewon last weekend for Rocketman's final fitting due to the typhoon.  We looked out our apartment window and saw people battling the wind and rain with their upturned umbrellas.  No thank you, we stayed in.  So Rocketman took today off and we went to Seoul.  Here he is getting his final fitting.  It will be delivered to our apartment on Monday.  How is that for service!  That's another thing I love about living in Korea.
After the fitting we decided to eat lunch in Itaewon.  We bypassed the Western choices like Subway, Quiznos, and Taco Bell.  Yes, my mouth was drooling.  We went for a Western restaurant that I had heard good things about, Geckos.  We discovered there were two.  The first one we went to didn't open until 12 pm and it was 11am.  I did see this place but it was also closed.

We went back to the main road deciding to eat at Quiznos.  We were waiting to cross the street to Quiznos when I spotted another Geckos.  It was on the second floor of the building and it was open.

 I had a cheeseburger and it was just like an American cheeseburger.
 Rocketman had a blackened chicken sandwich.  He said it was delicious.  The only thing I would complain about is that refills were not free.  I would think that for 11,500 WON ($10.50 USD) the soda refills would be free.  The only other complaint I had was that the waitress who brings over the menus stands there waiting for you to decide.  It was really unnerving and it made me quickly choose an item without really looking the menu over.
 As we were leaving I noticed this sign for a bank.  You don't see that every day in South Korea.
 We also went to Dongdaemum to do a little shopping and I saw this t-shirt.  it made us both chuckle.
 I've always wanted a purple purse (it's my favorite color) and I just had to have this.  We were able to negotiate the price quite a bit since I didn't want it that bad.  I sometimes wonder if they quote foreigners a higher price.  Rocketman noticed this on another purse I was looking at.  At the same stall, a Korean woman was told a price 20,000 WON cheaper than what I was told on a different purse.  I'll never know.
 I also found this darling barrette.  I seem to be collecting barrettes these days. 
Rocketman also brought this package home from work.  We have a forwarder in the U.S. who collects all of our mail and sends it to Rocketman's work here in Korea.  She collects enough of my magazines to fill a flat rate envelope and mails it off.

I want to thank the post office that we ever got this particular package.  It was mailed May 14th and we received it June 30th.  I'm not sure why it went via Chile.  That's seems really out of the way from Minnesota to South Korea.  Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding shopping Dongdaemun, if you haggle using Korean (do the vendors speak English in the first place?), you're likely to get a much better price. In fact, some of the first Korean words I learned related to haggling prices.

    얼마예요? - How much is it?
    아줌머니, 좀 깎아주세요. - Please give me a discount.

    Those two phrases alone will work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a package once that went to Puerto Rico instead of Newfoundland. I think they misread "St. John's" as "San Juan."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...